The building, which was around 50 years old, was being used as a hotel and lodge.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced ex gratia compensation of Rs 2 lakh each for the kin of the deceased in the Indore building collapse incident. He also announced relief of Rs 50 thousand to the injured besides free treatment.
Three of the injured are reportedly in a critical condition.
At least 10 people were killed after a four-storey building located in Sarwate locality of the city collapsed at around 9.30 pm on Saturday night. A rescue operation was launched immediately, which is still underway.
Rescue workers are using chainsaws and earthmovers to remove the debris and rescue those believed to be trapped underneath. Many vehicles were crushed under the debris.
BJP national general secretary Kailash Vijayvargiya, who is also an MLA from one of Indore’s assembly constituencies, said that Indore is a historic city and therefore has many old buildings.
Speaking to reporters at the spot, Vijayvargiya said, “We will learn from this incident. We will sit with architects, authorities and experts to find out ways to prevent any such incident from happening in the future.”
The building, which was around 50 years old, was being used as a hotel and lodge. There is no clarity on what may have led to the collapse of the building.
As the district administration ordered an inquiry, reports say that complaints had been filed with authorities regarding the dilapidated state of the building. Reports also state that notices had been issued to demolish the building.
Immediately after the building’s collapse, CM Chouhan called an urgent meeting to take stock of the situation.
In the heart of India
A’duar fisheries to aid flood affected fishermen
Journalist investigating illegal sand mining killed in Madhya Pradesh